Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Fielding Rejection Until You're Carved Out of Wood

It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group post! The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a brave space where we share our insecurities and offer up useful advice. Click the link to join! http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/p/iwsg-sign-up.html

The most valuable lesson being a writer has taught me is how to take rejection. Whether it's losing contests, being denied grants and residencies, or just flat out denied representation we learn where our deep inner strength lies and how to tap into it. Finding strength is a breakthrough! If you don't have "the breakthrough" it's only a matter of time until you say, "I suck." and give up.

Every time a pitch gets shot down by an editor, I'm told by a publisher, "This is not for us.", or I'm given a scathing review I tap into the strong core center of my being. That hardened core has taken so many beatings it's now carved out of wood. If I wasn't a writer, I wouldn't have learned to be this strong. My breakthrough and the IWSG community are obscenely important to me. 

Do you feel the same way? What's the most important lesson you've learned since you started writing?

16 comments:

  1. Yes! Writing and publishing can sure teach you all about rejection. I am much stronger for it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I can't think of a single writer who doesn't/wouldn't feel this way.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Juneta! And thank you for co-hosting!

      Delete
  3. Yes, rejections teach us to be strong. They also teach us that although some editors/agents might not like our writing, others do. It's just a matter of finding our readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so subjective. Yet, it's hard not to take it personally. I'm so thankful for my community. Thanks, Olga!

      Delete
  4. Have to keep on keeping on indeed, even through the crummy rejections. As we can always learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! I've taken away so much knowledge from constructive criticism once I learned not to fight it.

      Delete
  5. Yes, absolutely. You get tougher over time. Not everyone likes or understands what we write. We just need that certain reader who gets it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach! Finding your tribe makes all the difference.

      Delete
  6. This has nothing to do with writing ~ I was just looking at your little Peaches. OMG ~ so cute! I love dachshunds! Rejection is hard, but you just have to keep on putting your work out there. Tough is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Peaches is my only child. She's fantastic.

      Tough is good. If it was easy everyone would be a writer, and bars would be less full. Thanks Fundy. Cheers!

      Delete
  7. Great blog!

    I followed your blog, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you checked out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow as well! Excited to read more of your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, El! Will do. Good connecting with you.

      Delete
  8. I don't think I'm quite as hard as wood yet. After going through queries with my first novel, it's taken years for me to consider going through that process again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Tamara, Some days I'm a solid oak, and some days I'm a bendable pine. Ha!

      Delete