Wednesday, February 1, 2017

IWSG - Writing changed my Reading like Riding changed my Driving

It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time for a post to Alex J. Cavanaugh's brain child,  http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/p/iwsg-sign-up.html Click the link to join!

I've always been an avid book nerd, but when I became a serious writer I became a serious reader. Our great Southern Gothic novelist, William Faulkner told us to read it all. Read the good. Read the bad. Read everything, and I try. The more I read, the more I stumble across styles innovative and different. Work that leaves me thinking, "What eloquent delivery and amazing execution. This is really good. I should try that!" I'm reading not just as an audience member, but as a wordsmith. 

Octavia Butler's, Kindred made me want to try my hand at Science Fiction. I have an idea for a Cyber Hex novel I'm developing. Loren Eisley's, The Star Thrower made me want to write more philosophical shorts. I've started a Schopenhauerian story about a child's puppet stage.

Expanding the mind!

When I was taught how to ride a motorcycle I learned a lot about traction and the road. After I got my M1 license my driving changed dramatically. I was way more conscious and aware of what was around my car and how to brake under different weather and road conditions. Riding a motorcycle made me a better driver the same way writing seriously made me more conscious a reader.

How has writing changed your reading? 

10 comments:

  1. Writing seriously can make you a more conscious reader just as reading seriously can make you a more conscious writer. :D

    So cool that you have a M1 license!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good analogy. It helps when you can see both sides of the fence in any situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! Your IWSG allows us learn so much from each other.

      Delete
  3. Reading everything is a challenge. I find that I can't always finish, especially when the author repeats the same thing over and over in each chapter. I will never do that, at least I hope so.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I never do that as well. Ha. Thanks, Nancy!

      Delete
  4. Great attitude about reading.
    Happy IWSG Belated Day!
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juneta! I love these monthly prompts. IWSG is my absolute favorite writing platform.

      Delete
    2. I love your example, Adrienne. That is so true of every aspect of life. Once we walk in somebody else' shoes, we have a new regard for those things outside ourselves. The list of examples goes on and on, from parenting to mentoring, to caregiving, to aging. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. Writing has definitely changed how I write. I probably enjoy good books even more as I appreciate how they've been written as well as enjoying the story.

    ReplyDelete