Wednesday, November 2, 2016

IWSG - Warning: This is depressing.


It's the first Wednesday of the month y'all! Time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's brain child's blog hop. IWSG is a safe place for writer's of all walks of life to get together, share our insecurities, and support each other. To join The Insecure Writer's Support Group CLICK HERE!!! 

I've been crazy busy this last month. I've been promoting our month long interdisciplinary arts festival Dancing With The So Called Dead and attended a few workshops. It's been awesome, and I'm filled with gratitude for the experience, but I feel so guilty.

A woman I knew died in the middle of all this. I found out through a friend that she took her own life. She took an Uber to the Golden Gate Bridge, and jumped. I'm so angry at the Uber driver. Who drives an upset person to a fucking bridge? I'm angry at her boyfriend. When someone tells you they're going to commit suicide, you don't ignore them. Mostly, I'm just pissed off with San Francisco. This permissive city punishes all the wrong people. 

My friend wrote a really beautiful piece on this poor girl: - https://medium.com/@bodacious_and_loquacious

I've written a few pieces myself to cope, and it's becoming a giant rant of an essay. Do any of you deal with your grief the same way?

6 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss, Adrienne. This may sound weird, consider the source. We've lost two sons. They were twins and died 15 years apart. I see their death and dying as hitting the reset button. Your friend didn't like what she was living and what if she just pressed the reset button so she could begin again? Maybe I'm just a mum struggling to deal with loss, but after too many years, the thought works for me. I see my sons getting a new start, having a blast, hopefully hanging out together. What if death is being promoted? I don't know. But I do know that the covers to your books are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joylene. Thank you for sharing. There's strength in your vulnerability. I can be a bit cynical. I hope she's in a better place.

      Delete
    2. I hope they are all in a better place.

      Delete
  2. So sorry for the loss of your friend. It does seem strange that the Uber driver would just leave her there. Depression and suicide are hard to understand. Something has taken over in that person's psyche. You never really know how close some people are to ending their own lives. One person wrote of her son's suicide, "He stayed on this Earth as long as he could." There is nothing more you could have done. Find someone to talk to about what happened. It helps.
    Gentle thoughts to you today.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Mary! Every one has been so kind. Why couldn't the Uber driver been more aware? Even a person raised in land locked Africa knows not to drive upset people to a bridge! It blows my mind. Yet, it speaks volumes about how much the never ending tech boom has ravaged this city. San Francisco has sold it's heart and soul to Silicone Valley. As soon as I'm done with grad school I'm out of here.

      Delete