Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Insecure Writer's Support Group! Using - Keep Out - Signs As A Guide



It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time for a post to Alex J. Cavanaugh's brain child, http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/! Click on the link to join! Don't forget to subscribe to the newsletter. It's full of helpful tips for writers trying to make it in this fickle business.

In my writing cohort at http://www.ciis.edu/ in San Francisco we've been discussing time, memory, and metaphor. While going through our critiques I could see that some of the best writing within each piece tended to be the most controversial.

When I pointed this out, a visual artist and writer in our group laughed.

"Duh!" 

Spiked Lily played with his tactical pen. 

We all stared at him.

"Keep Out, signs are a guide." he said.


It's so true. As we were pointing out the strongest parts of each piece we were insecure about addressing the topics. Unabashedly writing about sex, power struggles, mental illness, addiction, oh hell - the human condition in its entirety holds peoples interest. 

That's why www.goodreads.com/book/show/17225311-tampa has and is continuing to sell so well, Lolita will always be a must read classic, and Oedipus Rex seems to sneak its way into our Mother's Day display. (Naughty booksellers!)


I've been focused on the rewrite of my master thesis, working title North Beach. North Beach details the life of a writer/ stripper who is the unlikely sleuth in the mysterious death of a book collector. The story highlights parts of the city that aren't talked about in polite circles, but are even more popular than ever among the tech and banking crowd.

I've faced questions as a feminist. I've been told I set women back a thousand years. I had no idea I was so powerful. I'm trying to be more secure in my subversive choices. Do you have any advice?

Hope everyone had an awesome January!

10 comments:

  1. People like controversy. Without some kind of controversy our books would be boring. I'd ignore anyone who criticizes you for being a feminist. They're idiots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrys. You're absolutely right. I love your blog and am excited about your new editing venture. You're charging some more than fair prices. Any author joining forces with you will be lucky to have you on their team.

      Delete
  2. Maybe that's why my books haven't done better. I'm not that controversial. Although I did do something unthinkable in my fourth book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Alex, I'm intrigued. My books are full of controversy and aren't exactly flying off the shelves. ha!

      Delete
  3. Controversy pulls people into books, along with conflict, contrast, challenges, and characters ~ so many wonderful "c" words! One of the reasons writing my memoir is so hard is that it touches on some powerful controversies. Happy writing in February, Adrienne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it. Sending productive vibes your way Fundy Blue!

      Delete
  4. Life is and should be full of controversy. I think it keeps us balanced. We know what we know and what we like and everything else is open for debate. Look at Hannabal Hector. The most notorious serial killer in modern day fiction. We gravitated to Thomas book like it was honey over ice-cream. Nobody really knows why. Which is another reason we're such an unique creature. Great post, Adrienne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete