Wednesday, January 6, 2016

IWSG - How to keep idiots from napalming your gratitude jungle.


Happy New Year! It's the first post of the year for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. Check it out by clicking HERE!

If you've read my previous blog posts then you know that I have high anxiety. I'm insecure about damn near everything before I go for a run and beat the crap out of myself for at least forty minutes. 

My New Years resolution is to practice more gratitude. I know. Yawn town. Right?




I was put off by gratitude being the new 'it' topic at the bookstore. It took a while, but once looking into gratitude as a practice, it started to make sense. If you're grateful for what you have in the present moment you are bound to achieve more and stress out less. (No, Mom. I didn't do it because you said to. Ahem.)

This is important for writers. My head 'fix it' trick is this. When something really bothers me, instead of dwelling on not having the power to do something right then and there and plotting my revenge, I remind myself I can write about it. It's really lucky I can exercise my demons by sharing my observations with the world. I give an example of this below.

 For this I have hella gratitude.

This isn't like Marie Kondo's, The Magical Art of Tiding Up where you say shit like, thank you for keeping me warm, to your sweaters. That's silly. 

It's more like when your car gets towed and instead of fuming back at the world you say out loud to yourself (because it scares others into not making fun of you), "The San Francisco tow yard is better than going to a concentration camp in Sri Lanka. Sure gonna suck to be the tech mogul I skid into since I can't make it to my getting new tires appointment today."

This shit works.

Yet, as I skip down gratitude lane there's always something that makes me stop and say, "Fucking really? I'm supposed to find gratitude after seeing that?"


And stupid. Don't forget stupid.

I come from a long line of military, and I'm pretty sure this darling little angel wouldn't have awards, commendations, and medals without the 'bitches kick and scream' movement. Neo-feminism or modern feminism could be an argument, but feminism? I'm positive some women don't know what that word means. Still, I have gratitude. Women have the opportunity to flex muscle and be woefully ignorant. And they do it just as well as any man.

Demons exorcised. This house has been cleansed. 

See?

Initially I got upset because the above proves that shooting people while ignorant and owning a vagina aren't mutually exclusive. However, I now have gratitude because I can obtain a 'license to conceal' permit while owning a vagina... um...

Where was a going with this?

Oh, yeah.

Gratitude. 

Despite all the heinous fuckery we deal with daily, what do you feel gratitude for? 

9 comments:

  1. I do gratitude challenges ever once in a while. It's very healing and uplifting looking for those things you're grateful for especially if you feel down and can only see the bad.

    It bothers me that people don't understand what "feminist" or "feminism" really means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Chrys. Taking a step back and realizing that what's lucky is a matter of perspective is good for everyone. I feel very lucky and very blessed. My goal for the year is to not forget that.

      Even though some of it was funny, I'll never Google Feminist meme again. Ha.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I think perhaps we have to somehow find gratitude in all that. There's so much negativity every single day on the news and all around us...it can be VERY hard to get past it. And yes, ignorance is sad. I make myself feel better by realizing that most of the people I've known who are ignorant live very sheltered, limited lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. The limited minded tend to have limited impact.

      Jeeze, I'm starting to see what a kill joy this post is. I didn't mean to go to bummer town. What I meant was, Happy New Year. This is funny, turned into, this is a rant.

      Thanks Stephanie! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Your car wreck story reminds me of the time I was hauled off in an ambulance (for dehydration basically) and instead of freaking out, I was thinking, "Damn, I wish I had my glasses. This is a great writing opportunity and I can't see anything!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your car wreck story reminds me of the time I was hauled off in an ambulance (for dehydration basically) and instead of freaking out, I was thinking, "Damn, I wish I had my glasses. This is a great writing opportunity and I can't see anything!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding a sense of humor in an ambulance is an amazing skill!

      Delete
  5. Gratitude is a good one to focus on, and it might help tone down anxieties too. After all, things can always be worse, and I'm grateful they aren't.

    ReplyDelete