Wednesday, November 4, 2015

IWSG - How To Relax

It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. Click here to join!

I was gifted a copy of Thich Nhat Hanh's, How To Relax at the Northern California's Independent Bookseller's Trade show and re-appropriated my copy around the show displays to show how I feel.

I have full time work and I'm in grad school full time. I try to exercise off the tension but sometimes I can't. Any techniques you guys can share? Thanks again. Love you guys!


8 comments:

  1. It's all in what makes you feel the most calm, I think. Find an hour to sit at the park, listen to some music, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately, I've been playing with my son's Lego set and building these elaborate structures. The tight focus and tinkering with tiny objects to create something silly and pointless, just for the fun of it, takes my mind off of everything. And when I'm done, I'm totally relaxed. I feel the same way when I fill a page with doodles. Pointless, focused, keeps the mind busy, and there's a sense of accomplishment in the end. There's got to be some science behind this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tanya. I've been meaning to start zen doodling on blank graph paper. It's harder than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can find ways to exercise even when you can't go to the gym. Just taking steps, lifting your feet, moving your arms... I hit the gym several times a week, so I know how important it is to find a way to relieve frustration and stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Alex. Sometimes I offer walk up books from the receiving room at the bookstore simply for the heavy lifting. Good point. ;)

      Delete
  5. You're right Alex. Sometimes I offer walk up books from the receiving room at the bookstore simply for the heavy lifting. Good point. ;)

    ReplyDelete