Thursday, August 25, 2016

IWSG - Why I'm worried I'm censoring myself.


It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time to post for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group!

I'm in grad school workshopping a mystery novel that shines a light in a few of San Francisco's dark corners. Because it touches on controversial topics, including recent true crimes, I've been catching a bit of flack for it.

I chose the school I'm attending over others I was accepted to due to it's nontraditional bent. Still, I feel like the controversial topics are making a few people uncomfortable. . . Only read below if you don't mind being an urban tourist. ;)

*Because all blog work is considered "published" I had to delete the excerpt below.*





6 comments:

  1. I love it. I'm becoming obsessed with your book, by the way. I was so bummed when the last submission ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I loved your submission as well. You have a strong and unique voice. I can't wait to read more.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious what you're getting flack about. They don't like the nature of the true crimes or they don't think you should be writing about them? Either way, it's really none of their business what you choose to write about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think people view seedier elements of the city their own personal way. I'm probably projecting my insecurities about it more than being questioned out right about it. It's hard to tell.

      Delete
  3. Best wishes with your new project and for a smashing success!

    Stephen Tremp
    November IWSG Co-host

    ReplyDelete