Friday, August 21, 2015

Um, what?




One would assume working in a bookstore your days are fully spent engaging in stimulating conversation. A bookseller is blessedly spared from stupid annoying questions. 

In the words of Betty Boop - No. No. A thousand times, no!

I'm minding my own business in the Women's Studies section when a woman around my age approaches me.

"I'm thinking of getting, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for my brother who just bought a motorcycle," she says.

"Let me check if we have it on hand." I walk over to my computer and begin typing.

"No, I know you have it. What is it about?"

"The title is pretty self explanatory," I say.

"So, it's about actual motorcycles?" she asks.

"It's about a father and son riding across country incorporating eastern philosophy and social commentary with motorcycle maintenance."

"Oh, no. That sounds wordy, complicated, and way heavy," she says shaking her head with her nose wrinkled.

"It is in our Philosophy section, I say. "It forces us to think."

She's already waving her hand around to swat my words away.

"Yeah, no. He really wouldn't like it. He hates that stuff. What would you recommend for someone like that?" she asks.

"You want me to recommend a book for someone who hates to think?"

"Like, heavy thinking, yeah. Where would something like that be?" she asks as she actually looks around the store. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh, good grief! I think I've run into that person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have directed her to the comic book section

    ReplyDelete