Thursday, April 2, 2015

Tough Choices


I'm a day late posting for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Follow the link http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/

Today is the day I have to give my non-refundable deposit to the MFA program I got accepted to and choose classes. I've emailed and left multiple messages at the other two Universities and have yet to hear back. I checked an online forum, and tons of people have received their rejection letters. Come on!

Sounds simple, right? Wrong! 

I was bitching about how the MFA Admissions Coordinator to one of the schools is a flake. I was in close contact with her, wrote assistantship essays and provided her with tons of additional material. 

After a huge rant I was informed the poor woman had died, like weeks ago! I was griping about grad school admissions and this woman close to my age, dropped dead in her office due to a bad heart. I'm. An. Asshole.

I'm definitely not putting my boot to their neck for answers now, but I'm getting down to the wire here. Any suggestions?

Those who have read my previous posts know that I juggle writing projects. When I complete them its usually a few at a time, but in the interim nothing gets published at all. I've always been a feast or famine word slave. Now, each project is equally pertinent to finish and I'm having trouble deciding which one gets full focus. 

Do I finish the high profile one, or do I finish the more academic project that carries more weight?



6 comments:

  1. Hi, Adrienne -
    I wouldn't kick myself too strongly about the rant. How were you to know? And you'd have been the first to express sympathy. As for the question: I'd finish the more academic project that carries more weight. That will give you time to perfect the High Profile one that will get you more attention. You're covering both bases...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Diana!
      That's what I was leaning towards. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying not to feel like a jerk, even though I couldn't possibly know she died. Mills should have said something to me when I was sending all my persistent follow up emails. Every year I tell myself I'll be more patient and every year around this time I lose it. Ha!
      Thanks Diana.

      Delete
  2. It wouldn't hurt to follow up with whoever took over her job. You know what they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'm sure if you're pleasant about it, you won't bother anyone. You don't really want to make that big of a decision without knowing all the details, or at least, I wouldn't. Unless you'd prefer to go to that school above the others, then just go for it!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH, how awful! Don't kick yourself; how could you have known? I agree that it wouldn't hurt to follow up with whoever is handling her job right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I still can't seem to get in touch with anyone. On a high note, CIIS offered me a scholarship and credit for having a writer's portfolio and novel out. They're looking like the most affordable option. Thanks for stopping by Liz!

      Delete