Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group - When to stop, breath and celebrate small victories.

It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's, Insecure Writer's Support Group post. Click on the link to learn more: IWSG


I have to admit, I've been grinning like an idiot ever since I received my first acceptance letter to a Bay Area MFA program I've been salivating for. I'm still waiting to hear back from two other schools, but I'm in. I sent the first six chapters of my second book, Chosen, as my writing sample and I got offered one of the ten coveted slots that open up for this program. 



I made myself two promises. After I completed my graduate applications I would pat myself on the back if I got an interview. After the interview with the department head I would congratulate myself after I got accepted.  I haven't done either.

I'm insecure that this will all be a misunderstanding, and turn into a failure somehow. I can't just relax. After my shift at the bookshop I'm thinking a glass of wine and a bubble bath. 

What are your favorite ways to force yourself to decompress? Please post a comment below no matter how bizarre. I'll try anything once.

10 comments:

  1. Glass of wine: definitely! But I'll exchange the bubble bath for a cupcake! 😁
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been carbing it up for sure. ;)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Adrienne! Getting accepted into that MFA program is awesome. I decompress with a glass of wine. I miss my bubble bath tub that I had in my old town home! Definitely a bubble bath is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louis! I'm about to scrub out the tub with the heavy duty stuff (which rarely happens) and get to it. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations that's an amazing achievement :) And if it's in writing then I think it's absolutely okay to pat yourself on the back :)
    Suzanne
    Co-host for March :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! Yes, it's an MFA in Creative Writing program. 😁

      Delete
  4. First of all, congratulations! I know those MFA slots are LIMITED. Obviously you are insanely talented. And as far as decompressing goes... I think a good few glasses of wine and an ol' bubble bath sounds fine. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CGCoppola! You're too kind! This is my second rodeo, so I was totally prepared for rejection across the board. I'm still waiting to hear back from the other two.

      I just found out that the head of admissions at one of the schools I applied to dropped dead in her office mere weeks ago! I will not be applying pressure to find out more information from them. R.I.P. :/

      Delete
  5. I think I decompress with denial, so I can't help you. lol Congrats on your acceptance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, I can do denial! Fantastic advice. Thanks again, Debra ;)

      Delete