Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group


It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's IWSG post! Here is the link: IWSG - Check it baby!

Hang on. It will be a bumpy ride.

My knuckles turn white around my red pen when I edit old work. 

Holy adverbs Batman!

It's an easy fix. 

"That's right," she said nervously.

     becomes:

"That's right," she said. She fidgeted with her pen and bit her lower lip.

Editing my new work is more fun now that my voice is clear. There's no cheating. My editor calls me on my shit every time. I'll use the end of Chapter 17 in Chosen as an example:

"M. M's dead." <---- Really? REALLY?
I'm assuming you didn't have much time to work with this chapter, because it doesn't make much sense and I have no idea what's going on. And seriously, you kill M off right after she has a break through? WTF? You can't just spring that shit on the reader after that last scene with her. Seriously, I'm pissed off right now....

 After a few more potty words:

You need to fix the M character arch in order for this to not piss off the reader.... When I say piss off, I don't mean from the kind of mind-fuck plot twist writers would actually want. I mean the reaction to a horrible, illogical, un-foreshadowed plot twist that is so bad it makes the reader close the book in disgust...

While some of you might think this is over the top and mean, he's right. I tried to fake the funk by tossing in a plot twist that wasn't in the outline and got caught. With a complicated mystery you can't fake the funk!

My editor's diatribes I can handle. But re-reading:

," she said nervously

Ow, adverbs hurt. I'm cloaked in failure. Get it off me. 

5 comments:

  1. At least it wasn't:

    "I'm so nervous," she said nervously.

    :) That's the nice thing about revisions, is you still have time to fix all of those little tidbits that make one's eye twitch.

    Best of luck!

    Loni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loni. No, it wasn't as bad as that. It still made the eye twitch. ;)

      Delete
  2. Can't skimp on details. Not with an editor like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I have to admit, mine is pretty special.

      Delete