Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Self publishing is getting easier and it's the best and worst thing to happen to writers.

Working as a bookseller at an independent bookstore you notice even the slightest change in trends. At the click of a button writers are able to make their work available to stores worldwide. It's so easy new authors are putting work out that isn't polished like an unvarnished piece of fine crafted furniture being put on the show room floor. I'm on my third published edition of my debut mystery novel so I speak from experience.

If your book sounds good employees at these stores will read you, and if they like it, sell you. It's the best part of the ever changing publishing industry for writers. It's also the worst. There are no excuses anymore! 

"I can't find an agent!"

"My genre isn't hot anymore!"

"No one will publish me!"

These excuses are no longer valid. It is the best and worst thing to happen to writers. No excuses. Your manuscript isn't published? Sure you eventually want to go the traditional route, but the excuse that no one will touch you if you're a self published author is no longer true. Big name authors who debuted as self-published are now hybrid authors (meaning both traditional and independent). 

No excuses. It's wonderful and it sucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment