Friday, January 17, 2014

Wendy Lesser's WHY I READ

My friend, author Jerry Thompson introducing Wendy Lesser
This was my first book signing I worked at our store. It was fun and I learned a lot. You hear horror stories about authors acting like high maintenance divas. Wendy was neither. Wendy Lesser approached me with her husband and friends and announced she was the author. She came across as completely unaffected by her success and extensive repertoire. 

Wendy Lesser discussing 'authority'
From Austen to Zola Wendy Lesser details her journey through books and their importance. Why I Read proves once again Wendy Lesser is a significant cultural critic.


 My favorite part of her reading in our store was her emphasis on authority. She argued semantics that she wasn't using the term authority in the traditional masculine dominating sense but in the way that makes you want to listen. 

Writers need to have authority. It's the key to good even great writing. It's not about talking down to the reader, it's about giving them a reason to trust your words. She says when going through 'the slush pile' she'll read a random page of work and if the author's voice has authority she'll rescue the manuscript from almost certain death.

Over all the most fun I've had at a book signing.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great event. Signings can be terrible or amazing, and you're right, it totally depends on the author. So glad this one was good :)

    ReplyDelete