Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review for BLUE NUDE

I've never written a book review as a post. That in and of itself should tell you how much I was moved by Elizabeth Rosner's novel Blue Nude.

I did a YouTube video review on Blue Nude but mostly discussed Rosner's passive voice and why it works. I enjoyed how lyrical and poetic her novel is and I don't particularly like poetic novels. Especially a love story between an artist and his muse. Not my taste at all. The best part about my independent bookstore is that it forces me to step outside my comfort zone.

I found it interesting that her dialogue used little to no punctuation but now I have to make an addendum. I only read the unpublished proof. I realize now that her editor could have made some changes that I didn't get to see.

This story challenges ones lack of faith in humanity and insists that now no matter what your pasts are or where you come from human beings can relate on some solid meaningful level, even fall in love. This was a beautiful story.  

I was given it to read at work because the setting is the same as the setting for Twist. It all takes place at the San Francisco Art Institute. I highly recommend this book.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review - it sounds intriguing and lovely. And I'm curious how you got your hands on an unpublished proof...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is.

      I work for an indie bookstore and am slowly acquiring entire shelves full of unpublished proofs. Publishing houses see it as having hundreds of beta readers. Part of the beauty of being traditionally published. ;)

      Delete