Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Happy New Year! Let's start the first post with the Insecure Writer's Support Group!


Due to the first Wednesday of the month being New Years Day Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group was asked to post today. The sequel to Twist in my Rebecca Ashley series titled Chosen has made it into the hands of a select few Beta readers. Other Beta readers I have lined up that are more picky about certain things are going to have to wait until I flush out the manuscript a bit more. Insecurity number one.

The second insecurity I have to start off 2014 is crowd pleasing. I've noticed lately I've been getting caught up in the growing numbers and/or lack there of, of subscribers, followers, google plus circles, Facebook likes, ext. 

More than once I've posted a video thinking, 'Will this entertain everyone? Do I talk about a certain book/subject too long?' 

This goal this year is to stick to why I started blogging, vlogging and writing books in the first place. It's it's about me exploring myself as an artist and pulling something out of me that can be painful at times but in the end is enjoyable. 

I need to focus on exploring myself as an artist and not get hung up on what others will accept or be repulsed by. If I'm honest with myself and everyone else it will resonate. It's about having fun. My goal this year is to not let my competitive side get in my way.

Check out the IWSG here! Also, my friend R. Leigh Hennig who helps manage the G+ group Craft of Creative Writing just started a Science Fiction Publishing Magazine that is now accepting submissions!

14 comments:

  1. You have to be true to you. It is about attracting an audience, but why attract them to something that's not real? Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Happy New Year! That's my insecurity. It's hard to persevere at times but that sums up being a writer. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Is it silly to call an insecurity 'great'? Hm. Maybe so. But it's a very valid one. Be real. (How can you be a phony with that darling shot of the Dachsie that I'm looking at right now?) But I digress. I sympathize. 'What if there's nothing worthwhile here?' Well, I guess it's a leap of faith to say that there is. But there IS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana. Encouragement accepted. Hope you're having a good start to the New Year. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Adrienne - You are right. It is so easy to get stuck in the people pleasing mode. The irony is that pleasing everyone is the opposite of easy. Good luck with your goals. Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne. It's good to take a step back and remember it's about purpose, not popularity. Moving people doesn't necessarily mean makeing them happy. People can be moved to feel confused and/or angry. Sometimes that's not a bad thing. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. I get exactly what you are talking about. I get insecure over the numbers all the time. I look at other authors/bloggers with triple the number of FB likes or blog followers, but I keep telling myself that mine will grow in their own time and so will yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. One writer emphasized it takes awhile for your audience to find you (her numbers are staggering) but it's not about that. I enjoy your site and ours will grow in time. But with my tendency to be blunt and loud about sensitive subjects I have to not care. ;)

      Delete
  5. An excellent attitude to start the new year, I say. Run with it like it's going out of style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your on the right track. Just stop the number counting, and continue with being yourself. Thanks for that by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just gave yourself awesome advice, so all I can really do is smile and nod and cheer you on :)

    ReplyDelete