Wednesday, December 4, 2013

IWSG Feeling Chicken


It's the first Wednesday of the month which means it's time to contribute to Alex J. Cavanaugh's brain child with a post. View more posts here: http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/p/the-insecure-writers-support-group.html

I've been working away at the never ending second draft of my sequel novel for my Rebecca Ashley Mystery Series. I am getting so close to the date I promised to hand out copies of the manuscript to my beta readers that my stomach knots up looking at copies of the first book TWIST. I really want this second book to be better than the first. While I love TWIST I feel CHOSEN will surpass it with it's more complicated plot line. I learned so much writing my first (first published, fourth written) book. 

I can already tell with this one the syntax is better. My voice is clearer. I don't have to go back as much to delete overly wordy sentences. But the plot line for this mystery is so complicated I've caught some serious continuity issues. 

Thankfully I'm starting my work schedule at Books Inc. tomorrow which should help prevent sleepless nights of angst as I obsessively scroll over my word document. Other people's books are the best distraction. 

15 comments:

  1. The more we write, the better we become. I bet it will be a better book. I know my writing improved between my first two books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This group is a big part of what gives me the guts to continue to expose myself. You're a genius. ;)

      Delete
  2. Why is it that your self-knowledge freezes even as your abilities increase? And why is it so hard to see the improvements? But they're there! It'll be better. (enjoy the job!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana. I feel the more I develop a better eye for good writing the more I am critical of my work. I become introverted even when it's improving. I love my new job as a book seller. The independent bookstore I work for is awesome!

      Delete
  3. Have a great first day! I've thought working in a bookstore would be heaven- I know, I know, the grass is greener on the other side. =) And like Alex and Diana said, I'm sure it's better than you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leandra,
      Selling books is awesome. It's only been a couple of days but I really like it. It's hard work but you will come home feeling inspired. Thanks for you're support.

      Delete
  4. Hi Adrienne
    Hi, I have nominated you for the liebster award
    http://something-wordy-reviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/liebster-award.html

    I was suprised to receive it myself and thought it will be fun to participate. I hope it won't be a nuisance to you. I have never done something like this before.

    Best regards
    Margitte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margitte!
      That makes three for me. I actually love to do the liebster awards questions. ;) I don't know why so many bloggers dread it. Maybe I'm weird. I will have to get on it tomorrow.
      Cheers!
      -A

      Delete
  5. I have no doubt that CHOSEN is going to be amazing. I still have to read TWIST though! Oh, so many books, so little time! Congrats on your new job. Working in a book store sounds great. I am envious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrys,
      I've definitely been keeping busy. Thanks! Even when I'm tired I'm inspired to keep writing. Seeing how expansive a body of work one human being is capable of producing energizes me.

      Delete
  6. Yup - reading is good for all things, including writer anxiety and writing better ;) Good luck - and keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,
      Agreed. I use reading as an excuse for down time. It lets me be lazy without feeling lazy. ;)

      Delete
  7. We always learn from the first time - your published book. The second time is often easier.

    ReplyDelete