Monday, December 2, 2013

Damn the distractions!

It's hard to get back in the swing of things over the holidays. I have work lined up. I'm working a gig Friday and I'm finally going to start at the independent bookstore I'd mentioned earlier. Now I can sit back and focus on the second draft of my next book. Um...right?

Nope.

I am having a harder time than ever avoiding the mundane shit that keeps me from applying ass to chair. I do my usual - turn off my modem, take out the dog, and have a pot of coffee within reach before I sit down but damn if it isn't hard to focus after the booze over-indulgence and turkey tryptophan overload imbibed over the holiday.

I push the 'turn on brain' button and get prompted the question 'Are you sure you don't want to eat and drink first?'

Getting back into a work rhythm after the noisiest of holidays sucks. I stuck to my promise to avoid burnout and remember fun. I was so effective in fact that now I can't keep my butt at my desk long enough to get any work done. I'm getting together with some writer friends to form a work group. Kind of like an adult study group where you're motivated by others to do work because they're working. Time to rally.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to limit your time to fifteen min of writing. Just try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Kenny once this second draft is finished. ;)

      Delete
  3. you are so insightful and so damn funny....i'd marry your dog Miss....

    ReplyDelete