Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cyberbullying - Feeding The Beast

It's a fact. Under the anonymity of the Internet people grow balls. Some people, cowardly otherwise, use this 'strength' to spread the misery around. Unfortunately, with the way YouTube has their comments set up they're making hate easier than ever. The most responded to comments get shoved to the top of the video page. Those comments tend to be the most demeaning and YouTube sustains the reputation of hosting some of the most hateful comments on the web.

You're probably thinking what I usually do. Don't be on YouTube if you can't laugh at it. We can laugh at the offender's misspellings and how stupid and ridiculous their hysteria is but now we can't fire back. The more responses the person gets the higher their comment gets bumped up to the top of the list.

I think this creates a mob mentality of insulting the video host. I can ignore it to a point. If you can't take ridicule and develop thicker skin don't be in the public eye. Still, it's one thing to make fun of someone's appearance or how they present the topic but a group of people telling someone to go 'f*cking kill themselves'! Especially someone who clearly might be depressed. I find the growing numbers astounding. The one thing I can think of doing is ignore the trolls and post something nice to the host before leaving their video page. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree. I am sure You Tube is looking into this or they will clear all that up with a subscription service, which is probably what they are aiming at anyway. What better way of marketing an already huge service that has been free. Just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn Kenny! I didn't think of it that way. Whoever came up with the angle is a machiavellian evil genius!

      Delete
    2. It'll will be interesting to see how things unfold.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting about this problem, Adrienne. My granddaughter is 18 and has had a terrible time with cyber bullying. Scares me what these kids have to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your granddaughter is dealing with it okay. Cyberbullying is a whole different animal than the bullying we had to handle growing up. I think kids have to grow up faster and get tougher at a younger age because of it.

    ReplyDelete