Saturday, October 5, 2013

Creativity Well

I read a post in this last week's Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop asking writers where they find their creativity. Many stated that they get their creativity from other writers, artists, and books. I agree that I'm inspired by those things but that's not where I think our creativity comes from. 

I think our creativity is innate. I had a friend in grade school who at a very tender age could not see beyond black and white. I don't remember what her family was like but I hated being forced to stay at her house after school. No matter what I tried to get her excited about something the kid was born with no imagination. 

I'd say, "Let's be unicorns and play outside!" and she'd respond "We can't because we're not." Kid watched a lot of T.V.

Creativity can be blocked. I view it like tapping a well. I first learned I was talented at fiction when I told cops an elaborate story about how I couldn't possibly be the kid that was playing with the pay phone at the park. I thought you needed a quarter to dial 911. I was six. Motivated not to go to kinderprison I told a story. Motivation taps the well. You have to want it.

Do you agree? Please agree and/or disagree in the comments below.

13 comments:

  1. I think everyone is creative, but how they channel it is unique. You can use your creativity in right-brained behaviors like: creating art, music, etc. or left-brained behaviors like: solving problems, innovation, etc, or a combination of both. Also, life experience (and parenting) can either encourage or inhibit the freedom to let creativity reign. I think creativity in and of itself is a pretty complex process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the writers meant inspiration, rather than creativity? I agree with you - creativity is innate - but INSPIRATION I often get from elsewhere. Books, poems, art, nature, other people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think too. Inspiration accesses the well. I'm inspired by so much around me. Like when I meet a quirky person with bizarre habits. It inspires me to write and play with the human condition.

      Delete
  3. I think you're onto something. As a kid, I was pretty good at telling big fat fibs to get out of trouble. Once, our principal, Mr. Smith confronted me about possibly kicking another kid in the shin, despite the big bully deserving it. Mr. Smith had jet black hair and streaks of white and smoky glasses. Oh, and he had two missing fingers. Seriously. To his face, I told him some crazy story about me tripping and falling down. And my foot happened to strike poor Toby's shin. I can spin a pretty good yarn when cornered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIght! It's amazing what we can come up with when motivated. Mr. Smith sounds like a scary teach. Sounds just like my six grade science teacher. I guess many kids have survived a Mr. Smith. Ha ha!

      Delete
  4. The other point to consider is that the more you use your imagination, whatever the personal key that has unlocked it, the more flexible and easily accessible it is - a bit like getting in creativity shape!

    Thanks for your visit and contribution to my blog - I will follow here with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah,
      Thanks! I look forward to following you as well. ;)

      Delete
    2. Deborah lives in Provence. You should check out her blog and website detailing her writing, cover options and showcases some amazing photography. http://www.deborah-lawrenson.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  5. Adrienne,
    Thanks so much for the follow! I love your blog. Looking forward to reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I surfed in here thanks to Liz. So glad I didn't know your friend: she would have driven me mad. ...and the cops didn't happen to have a 'squad car cam' that captured your young self's story about playing with the pay phone? No? Sigh...
    Diana at Diana Wilder – About Myself, by Myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me Diana!
      I look forward to following you.
      Cheers!
      -A

      Delete