Tuesday, June 18, 2013

When Talent Isn't Enough

"Call me Ishmael" was rated in 2011 as the most recognizable opening line in Western literature.

The printed three thousand copies of Moby-Dick did not all sell during Herman Melville's lifetime. Today Moby-Dick is considered an iconoclastic piece of great American literature.

There is no guaranteed success in being a writer, but to even have a chance you must continue to expand your body of work. It's difficult for many artists to accept. It's not enough to have a passion, you have to be willing to put the work in and even then, success isn't guaranteed. There's a whole lot of luck involved. 

You'll discover when eyeing the book sale stats of a few best sellers that sometimes talent isn't even required. When my morale is down and I wonder what the hell I'm doing with my time I repeat the mantra, be passionate and enjoy what you do. It's not enough to have talent, you have to work hard at it.

On a side note. I will be visiting The San Francisco Art Institute tomorrow in search of an artist to design the cover of Lavaliere Fatale. I'll post details on how that goes tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment